Christmas season coping strategies
The festive season represents a challenging time for anyone wanting to lose or even maintain their weight. Celebrating Christmas and New Year conjures up images of mince pies, trifle pudding, Christmas cake and champagne. So how does one navigate this time without piling on unwanted kilograms?
1. Set your intention: Aim to maintain your weight but do not panic if you gain a kilogram or two. Move away from the ALL or NOTHING mindset, be realistic.
2. Be prepared: Empower yourself with knowledge. If attending lunch or dinner at a friend or relative phone ahead and ask what’s on the menu, offer to bring a delicious salad, low carb cheese platter or sugar free dessert. Make sure that there are healthy options available to you.
3. Portion control: Have one plate of food. Practice saying: “that was delicious. I won’t have seconds, thanks”
4. Keep moving and possibly step it up a notch: make exercise a part of your daily routine during the festive season. Plan walks in nature, swims in the ocean or just get outside and play!
5. If you do overindulge, don’t beat yourself up too much. Try get back on track as soon as possible.
5. Check your mindset: Instead of focusing on feeling deprived by not being able to have bowls full of pudding change your thoughts and perceptions into positive affirmations. Instead of thinking: “Poor me, I can’t have any pudding”, say: “I love nurturing and nourishing my body with wholesome natural foods”.
6. Play the movie through: when wanting to succumb to temptation take a step back and ask yourself: “if i have that slice of cake now how will I feel tomorrow? Is this part of my plan to be happy with my weight?”
Most importantly focus on what’s really important during this time. Spend quality time with family and friends making them the centre of your celebration instead of the food.