Woman and Home Magazine South Africa recently named me as one of the “4 South African Women Changing the Way We Eat“. (I was very excited! What a privilege and so special to be recognised.)
They shared a recipe for delicious Portuguese Custard Tarts from my book Sugar Free: 8 weeks to freedom from sugar and carb addiction.
Karen Thomson’s Portuguese Custard Tarts
These tasty tartlets are free from refined sugar
- Eggs - 8
- Cream - 800ml
- Psyllium husks - 10ml
- Salt - 2 pinches
- Vanilla essence - 10ml
- Melted butter - 50ml
- Desiccated coconut (optional) - 2 tbsp
- Pre-heat the oven to 220c. Mix all the ingredients, apart from the melted butter, in a food processor.
- Add the melted butter and mix well. You can add desiccated coconut to the mixture (optional).
- Pour the batter into greased individual muffin trays and bake for 20-30 min.
- Serve with 1 tbsp cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon.