Make this colourful, minimum prep salad as big or as small as you like. Perfect for a crowd. Or for one. Just ensure that you always make enough of the moreish mustard dressing!
I call it an all-in-one LCHF salad. Healthy fats, protein and a selection of veggies − all on the same platter.
- crème fraîche, cultured cream or sour cream - ½ cup
- wholegrain mustard - 2 tablespoons
- water - 2 teaspoons
- salt to taste -
- milled black pepper to taste -
- watercress and/or rocket -
- salami, sliced -
- hard-boiled eggs, halved -
- baby tomatoes on the vine or any other small tomatoes -
- white button mushrooms, thickly sliced -
- red or green salad onions, cut lengthwise -
1. Mix all the dressing ingredients together and spoon into a bowl. The dressing will be quite thick – it’s supposed to be spooned over the salad rather than poured. If you prefer a thinner dressing, just add an extra teaspoon of water.
2. Lay out the watercress and/or rocket, salami, eggs, tomatoes, mushrooms and salad onions on a platter. Place the bowl of dressing on the platter and serve.
(Makes a little more than ½ cup of dressing)
• If you feel like a chicken salad with a difference, add pan-fried strips of chicken breast fillet to the salad. Chicken and salami go surprisingly well together. Some avo will work well with this combo, too.
• You can throw in green veggies like sugarsnaps, mange tout or blanched fine green beans.
• This creamy mustard dressing will also complement any ham, pastrami or smoked fish such as peppered mackerel or snoek. Put it to the test!