Make this colourful, minimum prep salad as big or as small as you like. Perfect for a crowd. Or for one. Just ensure that you always make enough of the moreish mustard dressing!
I call it an all-in-one LCHF salad. Healthy fats, protein and a selection of veggies − all on the same platter.
Ingredients for the dressing:
• ½ cup crème fraîche, cultured cream or sour cream
• 2 tablespoons wholegrain mustard
• 2 teaspoons water
• salt to taste
• milled black pepper to taste
Ingredients for the salad:
• watercress and/or rocket
• salami, sliced
• hard-boiled eggs, halved
• baby tomatoes on the vine or any other small tomatoes
• white button mushrooms, thickly sliced
• red or green salad onions, cut lengthwise
1. Mix all the dressing ingredients together and spoon into a bowl. The dressing will be quite thick – it’s supposed to be spooned over the salad rather than poured. If you prefer a thinner dressing, just add an extra teaspoon of water.
2. Lay out the watercress and/or rocket, salami, eggs, tomatoes, mushrooms and salad onions on a platter. Place the bowl of dressing on the platter and serve.
(Makes a little more than ½ cup of dressing)
• If you feel like a chicken salad with a difference, add pan-fried strips of chicken breast fillet to the salad. Chicken and salami go surprisingly well together. Some avo will work well with this combo, too.
• You can throw in green veggies like sugarsnaps, mange tout or blanched fine green beans.
• This creamy mustard dressing will also complement any ham, pastrami or smoked fish such as peppered mackerel or snoek. Put it to the test!
“The Sugar Free Revolution was started to expose the addictive and toxic properties of refined and processed sugar and carbohydrates in our diets, and help people just like you to break their addiction, lose weight, and feel incredible again!”
– Karen Thomson, Founder of The Sugar Free Revolution